It's no secret that dogs are amazing creatures, but just how amazing are they really? We've compiled a list of ten interesting facts about dogs that will blow your mind and hopefully remind you how wonderful man's best friend really is!
Dogs do have a sense of time and miss you when you're not home. Ever wonder why your pup is waiting for you at the gate when you come home? They're counting down the hours!
- The most popular dog name is Max
- Despite what some of us have always believed, dogs do see in color! The difference is that the color they see isn't as vivid as it is to the human eye.
- Dogs have sweat glands in their paws. This means dogs sweat through the pads on their paws and not through salivating as so many people believe. If you've ever wondered why your dog's paws smell like corn chips, it's their sweat!
- Petting a puppy can lower your blood pressure! Go on, pet that puppy. You'll feel better for it!
- Dogs' sense of smell is at least 10,000 times stronger than that of a human's.
- Your dog can smell what you're feeling. Dogs can also detect changes in the human body, and this has resulted in dogs being used to help assist patients during seizures. Some dogs have also been trained to help diabetics – they can smell when a patient's insulin levels have dropped and will alert someone!
- Newborn puppies are all blind, deaf, and toothless.
- Dogs can recognize more than a 150 words. If that's not amazing enough for you, a border collie named Chaser can recognize 1,022 words!
- All dogs are direct descendants of wolves. It doesn't matter which breed your pooch is, he or she is technically the same species as a wolf!